SPRING FEVER HAS HIT!

The weather the past few weeks has been so tricky! One day beautiful sunshine and warm-ish temperatures and the next day blasted snow! I am so ready for some green around here and some warmer weather. This weekend I set out with one major goal in mind- our garden. I know we are still at least a few weeks away from planting but we had lots of work to get done!

This is what our garden looked like until Friday evening. Last year was the first time we attempted a garden in our yard. We already had a spot that got some good sun and the grass wasn't growing well so last year we tilled it and planted peas, carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and lettuce. We were doing pretty well, until one week we got busy and didn't weed- the attack of morning glory was un-relenting from that day on. We were also not loving the temporary puppy-proofing fence.

 So, we borrowed a truck from a trusting Grandfather and headed out to "no-where" to get a load of rock. It was only $20 for the truck load so the drive was worth it!
 The night before I went to my favorite orange store to pick out the lumber we needed for the garden boxes. About 25 2x6x8's and three 4x4x8s. The orange store can thank me later for re-stacking their entire bunk of 2x6's! It was slim pickins but I found what I needed after about and hour of digging through the pile.
 Friday I had told a friend I would watch her three cute little guys while she did a project. So I had a break from the outside to play with the boys. This is one of the boys- he has finally warmed up to Jack and was reading him books. I was glad I could grab a picture of this!
 Jack "reading" another book! So cute! We had fun reading, playing with blocks and Mr. Potato head. These boys sure made my day!
 While making the boys some dinner I used up the last of the peanut butter, and since Jack had been such a good boy all day I decided to give him the peanut butter jar- he was in heaven! He could fit most of his head in the jar and did a good job cleaning it out. (Don't worry, once he was done I threw it away)
 After the boys left Friday night I cleared out the weeds and leveled the ground so we could get right to work Saturday morning. It took about an hour and a half to get the rock moved off the giant pile on the patio and into the garden space. Its about 4 in deep, 8 feet wide, and 14 feet long... it was a lot of rock!
 Saturday was super cold and windy and threatened rain more than once. So I was all bundled up in a hoodie and my safety glasses :) I love working with power tools...
 We finally finished assembling the boxes about dark-thirty, I am pretty sure our neighbors think we are nuts to be running the loud circular saw at that hour!
Side view the next morning... they turned out pretty well I think! Now we just need to fill them with dirt and plants and we will be good to go! We are also thinking of staining/painting them to help the wood last a little longer.

So wish us luck as we work to become more self-sufficient and grow our own produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment